1.1 Personal Information Collected
As a general principle, IPfolio limits the information collected about you to only what is needed for conducting our business, including the offering of products and services by us or by third parties that might be of interest to you. You may choose to provide “personally identifiable information” (PII) to IPfolio in many ways: in person, by telephone, by electronic mail or submitted via our websites. Examples of how you may share PII with us include: requesting product information, issuing an RFP, ordering software or services from us, responding to IPfolio surveys, attending IPfolio sponsored events or conferences, or applying for a job. We may also obtain PII from third parties (for example, during the course of business via credit agencies or background checks), but only if we have first obtained your permission.
General Examples of PII are:
- Name (First, Last)
- Company name
- E-mail address
- Credit card number, financial/bank account number or wire transfer information, including routing numbers and instructions
- Date of birth
- Social Security number or other government identification number
- Employee number
- Professional employment information
- Company contact information for business customers
IPfolio’s software products and services involve the management of intellectual assets such as patents, trademarks and trade secrets. When our Licensees subscribe to our products and services, they may collect additional information such as the following which is NOT PII related:
- Mailing address (unless unlisted or restricted at your request)
- Telephone number (unless unlisted or restricted at your request)
- IP Address allowing you to access our internet services
- PII included in aggregate data compiled by IPfolio
IPfolio may compile or aggregate PII from numerous customers or website visitors to collect data about groups of customers or potential customers or categories of service. IPfolio does not consider this “aggregate” information as PII because the aggregated information does not contain the PII of any individual customer or website visitor.
1.2 IPfolio’s use of Personally Identifiable Information – General
IPfolio uses PII to provide products and services to meet our customers’ needs, including new products or services. IPfolio may share PII with any IPfolio-affiliated company, and these companies are subject to the terms of this Policy.
IPfolio uses employee PII to communicate with and manage our employees.
IPfolio retains PII only as long as necessary for IPfolio to comply with business, tax and legal requirements. For customers and employees, this retention period is likely to be the entire time you are our customer or employee, depending on the type of PII.
IPfolio commits to cooperate with EU data protection authorities (DPAs) and comply with the advice given by such authorities with regard to human resources data transferred from the EU in the context of the employment relationship.
IPfolio does not:
- Collect PII from you unless you provide it to us in person, over the phone or electronically by visiting our websites, including information you provide in order to use our services.
- Sell the names and addresses of IPfolio website visitors to unaffiliated suppliers without your prior approval.
- Allow third parties to change your PII, without complying with our security policies.
1.3 Licensees’ use of Personally Identifiable Information – Software
IPfolio’s licensees can use our Software products to collect PII from their employees, affiliates, law firms and agents. The collection, access, administration and storage of this PII is under the control of our licensees, with no involvement or access by IPfolio personnel. The only occasional exception to this statement is if a Client provides IPfolio personnel emergency access to their IPfolio software, usually for the purposes of diagnosing and fixing a software program error.
1.4 Licensees’ use of Personally Identifiable Information – Hosting Services
The IPfolio application is hosted upon the Salesforce Platform which is ISO 27001 and SSAE 18 compliant – (https://trust.salesforce.com/en/compliance), and their practices and infrastructure comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland.
IPfolio never collects personal information for or on behalf of our licensees. Our licensees have exclusive responsibility for collecting and storing PII in the IPfolio software that we host. IPfolio technical support employees may have occasional access to the Licensee-collected personal information. This access in incidental to the IPfolio employees’ performance of their IT-related duties for the technical maintenance and backup of the hosting environment.
1.5 Implementation Services
1.6 Other Services
1.7 Enhancement of the Customer Experience
Because we appreciate the trust you have placed in us, we continually look for ways to enhance your customer experience, both on our web site and with our software products. We customarily host an annual user Conference and obtain PII in connection with that event. From time-to-time, we may notify you about an IPfolio product or service using the information you have provided to us either in person, telephonically or electronically by visiting our websites, including information you provide to use our services. We strive to limit our offers to those we think you would benefit from and appreciate receiving. We want every contact you have with us to be a positive experience. If you prefer not to receive these IPfolio value-added services, offers and opportunities, just contact us at privacy@IPfolio.com.
IPfolio complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding “Do Not Call” Lists. Generally, IPfolio is allowed to contact its customers, even if the customers are registered with federal or state Do Not Call Lists, because of our relationship with you. IPfolio will, of course, honor any request to remove your name from our telephone, mail or e-mail solicitation lists and will delete your information from existing files within a reasonable time period. Just contact us at privacy@IPfolio.com.
1.8 Information Disclosed to Third Parties
IPfolio does not sell PII of its customers to third parties. In limited circumstances, IPfolio may provide PII to third parties:
- To assist us in developing, promoting, establishing, maintaining and/or providing IPfolio-related products and services to you, including joint marketing efforts or promotions, but PII may not be used by the third parties for any other purpose;
- To assist us in establishing accounts, billing, collecting payment, enforcing the Terms and Conditions or the Acceptable Use Policy of our IPfolio services where permitted by law, and protecting or enforcing our rights or property or the services of our other customers from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use by you of our services;
- To comply, when required by law, with court or administrative orders, civil or criminal subpoenas, warrants from law enforcement agencies, federal or state regulatory requirements, mandatory governmental audits, E911 reporting requirements, grand jury investigations, civil or criminal governmental investigations or reporting required by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, designated by federal law as a reporting mechanism for child pornography; and
- To appropriate law enforcement, 911 centers or emergency services when IPfolio, in good faith, believes the disclosure is necessary to protect a person, IPfolio property or the public from an immediate threat of serious harm.
1.9 On-Line Information
1.10. Security Measures
IPfolio uses security techniques designed to protect your information from unauthorized access. We have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control, or information that is processed by our software and under the control of our licensees. For example, when you use IPfolio software over the Internet, the information exchange between you and the IPfolio software is encrypted using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
All IPfolio employees are bound by non-disclosure agreements designed to prevent them from disclosing any PII. Further, IPfolio’s employee guidelines state that IPfolio employees must abide by all state and federal laws and regulations in the performance of their job duties.
Our policies also limit access to PII to only those employees, contractors, agents or representatives that require the information to perform their jobs or assist IPfolio with providing products and services to you.
1.11. Links to Other Websites
1.12. Policy Updates
1.13. Security Breaches
While our goal is to prevent any unauthorized disclosure of PII, IPfolio cannot guarantee that an unauthorized disclosure will not occur. We will make reasonable efforts to contact you if we determine that security breach has occurred, and that there is a reasonable risk of identity theft or as otherwise required by law.
If you believe that you have discovered a vulnerability in our product or have a security incident to report, please email email@example.com. Please include a detailed summary of the issue that you have discovered.
DATE UPDATED: 8/21/2019